Friday, June 15, 2012

Mamaw's Quick Rhubarb Jam (veganized)

One of my favorite things that Mamaw Eliza has ever made is Rhubarb Jam.  She makes a quick version of jam that doesn't use fruit pectin.  It uses Jello.  Yep, Jello is not vegan.  But, there is a vegan version of jello, and I decided to try it in making some Rhubarb Jam.


Yes, this is what it looked like on toast, and below is it in jars.


It turned out AMAZING!  I also replaced the sugar in the original recipe with agave nectar.  Have I mentioned how much I love agave nectar?  Well, this was perfect. 


The color of mine turned out a bit darker than Mamaw's does.  She uses strawberry or cherry flavored jello, both of which are excellent options.  I did use Raspberry with mine, and I loved it.  I am such a raspberry fanatic.  And if you are wondering what the orange-yellow spots are in the jam, that is pineapple.  And it makes it even sweeter and more amazing. 

As far as canning goes, you can can traditionally, or you can can them my way.  See the apple butter post for how I do it.
Ingredients:

5 c. finely diced rhubarb
2 1/4 c. agave nectar
2 boxes 3 oz. vegan jello
5 c. crushed pineapple (if using cans, 2 20 oz. cans) with juice

Directions:

1. Add rhubarb and agave nectar in a large pot over medium-high heat.  Bring to a boil and let boil together for 10 minutes.


2. Add jello to the mixture in the pot. Bring back to a boil and let boil for 10 minutes.


3. Add pineapple to the pot.  Bring back to a boil and let boil for (wait for it... ) 10 minutes!


4. Remove from stove and can your jam, or cool and serve immediately. Chow down!

I decided to try mine for the first time with some almond butter on Ezekiel 4:9 bread for the best PB&J that I have ever had.

1 comment:

  1. If you want to use sugar instead of the agave nectar, it takes 5 c. of sugar. I prefer the agave though.

    ReplyDelete