Sunday, June 10, 2012

Tempeh and Vegg Tofu Quinoa Bowl

When I first heard about the Vegg, I was overly thrilled.  The thing I missed most when going vegan was egg yolk.  I loved it.  I would make and over-easy egg and eat it with taters, sandwiches, bread, everything.  But, it was and still is worth giving up.  And when I got my package of Vegg in the mail, I mulled over what I could make with it.  My dad's fried rice is something that almost everyone I know loves.  At the same time, I wanted to make it much healthier.  That package of Vegg allowed me to make Daddy's Fried Rice with a twist.


It was just like Daddy's rice, but with quinoa instead of rice, tempeh instead of bacon, and tofu made with Vegg instead of egg.  I also added some brocoli in for a little more nutrition.  I had put off eating tempeh until recently because I was a little scared of it.  Now, I wish that I would have tried it sooner.

Before I go further into the recipe itself, I want to go into the Vegg.  I had super high hopes when I first read about the Vegg.  When I got the packet in the mail, I was anxious.  I was super nervous and excited because it had the potential to bring something back to me.  I am so happy to say that this is PERFECT!  I absolutely adored it.  I couldn't imagine anything this good as a replacement.  Here is what the tofu and Vegg looked like before I brought it into the quinoa dish.


I could eat this morning noon and night.  I love it.  But, back to Daddy's rice.  I love quinoa because it does give an energy boost for me before I run and do my evening workout.  It is a great rice replacement.  The tempeh was Tofurky brand's Sesame Garlic.  It was amazing on it's own and in the quinoa bowl.  And Daddy's fried rice would not be complete without green onion.  Luckily, we have lots in the back yard in our little garden.  I could not be more happy with having it out there.


This is the corner of the garden with our lettuce, two tomato plants, and green onions. Fresh garden produce is better than any that you can buy in a store, without exception. 

Ingredients:

1 c. firm tofu, cubed
1 1/2 c. of the Vegg
1/2 Tbsp. Earth Balance buttery spread
1 Tbsp. canola oil
1 package Tofurky's Sesame Garlic Tempeh, diced tiny
1 green onion, chopped
1/2 c. steamed brocoli
1/4 c. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 c. low-sodium teriyaki
2 c. vegetable broth
3/4 c. quiona
1 tsp. sesame seed oil

Directions:

1. In an iron skillet, melt the Earth Balance over low heat.  Add in the rofu and the Vegg.  Keep an eye on this as you continue to stir and cook the other components. 
2. In a rice cooker, add the quinoa, low-sodium soy sauce, low-sodium teriyaki sauce, vegetable broth, and sesame seed oil.  Turn it on and let it cook.
3. In a second iron skillet, add the oil and let it get hot over medium-low heat.  Add in the tempeh.
4. Cook the Vegg tofu until the Vegg becomes thick and the tofu is done. 
5. Cook the tempeh until it is browned.
6. Once the quinoa is done, add in the tempeh, Vegg tofu, green onion, and brocoli.  Mix together.
7. Grab a bowl, and chow down.

There is several things going on at once here, but it is still really simple.  It is an awesome evening meal.

3 comments:

  1. do you steam the tempeh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Something I should have added in with the recipe and totally forgot is that as I'm frying it, I add water along the way to keep it from sticking to bad once the oil kinda disappears. This way it steams it as well as picks up the bits from the bottom.

      Delete
  2. Did you mean 1 1/2 teaspoons of vegg? Or 1 1/2 cups prepared?

    ReplyDelete