Friday, March 23, 2012

Challenge Accepted: Kale Dessert #1 Chocolate Pecan Kale Chips

I was greeted with a challenge a few days ago.  I've been known to make some odd, quirky things, such as zucchini streussel, radish rolls, and zucchini cinnamon rolls, etc.  I love veggies, especially zucchini and kale.  One of my closest friends and coworker, Jen, challenged me to make a kale dessert.  I had two in mind, but this afternoon I came home in need of a pre-workout snack.  I have to teach Zumba at 5:30 this evening.  It is sooooo much fun, but I have to be up for the challenge.  When looking in the fridge, I saw that I had a mere 4 pieces of kale left.  And I remembered the challenge.

My first worry was, what sweet stuff goes with kale?!  I mean, it's a green.  But, that didn't daunt me or discourage me.  Like all good desserts, my mind went two ways: chocolate and something fruity.  I'm a fruit addict; however, I decided to try the chocolate approach first.  Which involved Chocolate Pecan Kale Chips.  Now, these also have a couple other ingredients in them, but these will be prominent. 


I'm not gonna lie.  I was worried when I started throwing these things together.  I come into a kitchen with no true plan, and just keep working until I say, "Hey, this looks good... smells good... hmmm... let's give it a try."  And out popped these beauties.  I threw in lemon zest to give it more of a brightness, and it worked! 


They were yummy.  I say were because I ate them all while trying to write this post. 


Ingredients:

4 leaves of kale, washed, dried, and torn into 1 inch pieces
1/4 c. pecans
1 Tbsp Earth Balance coconut spread (if you don't have this, you can use coconut oil or vegan butter)
1 tsp. lemon zest
2 Tbsp agave nectar
1/8 tsp. allspice
2 Tbsp dark cocoa
Unsweetened coconut flakes

Directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. 
2. Melt the coconut spread in a small bowl in the microwave.
3. Add the agave nectar and lemon zest to the melted coconut spread until well combined. 
4. Mix in the allspice and dark cocoa until all is combined.
5.  Put the kale in a large bowl and toss in the pecans.  Pour the chocolate mixture over both.
6. Massage the chocolate mixture into the kale. 
7. Spread kale and pecans evenly across a baking sheet. 
8. Sprinkle the coconut over top.  Sprinkle on as much or as little as you like.
9. Pop in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
10. Grab a bowl and chow down.

I don't know how these taste when they cool off, but when they are still warm and crispy, they are so good.  They can curb a chocolate craving, give you a boost of kale nutrients, and don't have a ton of calories.  Can't say that they have none, but not a lot!  Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment