Saturday, March 24, 2012

Tropical Breakfast Quinoa

This morning when I first woke up, the sky was filled with clouds.  But, through the clouds, you could see the sun trying its very best to peek through the gloomy clouds.  I decided this morning would be a great morning to work on a recipe that has been mulling in my mind for a few weeks. 

I wanted to make Tropical Quinoa.  I wanted to add pineapple, mango, kiwi, and banana to quinoa with coconut milk and fresh macadamia nut butter.  Making fresh nut butter is not difficult.  It literally takes just a few minutes of your time.


I wanted something refreshing and fun.  Turns out though, that I have no mango, and no store near here has mango.  Why must you let me down Food City and IGA?  Next time I make it, it is totally gonna have mango though.


This is what I started out with.  I love making quinoa in my rice cooker.  It turns out perfect and tastes delicious.  This is what I ended with:


I added flax after this and topped with coconut.  Mom and dad aren't much for adding milled flax seeds, but I love it.  I get little packets of the flax mill so I can easily pour it on and mix it into my foods. 


After making this, I realized that according to a site I read yesterday, I had three superfoods in this one dish (here is the site: http://www.ecorazzi.com/2012/03/23/15-vegan-superfoods-you-should-be-eating-right-now/).  The end product was delicious.


I promise that this will brighten up your morning.

Ingredients:

1/2 c. pinapple chunked
1/2 c. mango diced (if you don't have it, like I didn't, add another 1/2 c. pinapple)
2 kiwis diced
1 medium banana
1 c. quinoa
1 can of coconut milk
Water
Unsweetened shredded coconut
Milled flax seeds
1 c. raw unsalted macadamia nuts

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Empty the can of coconut milk in a large measuring cup.  You want 2 cups of liquid total.  Add water to the coconut milk until you get 2 cups of liquid.  Mix the two together.
3. Add the quinoa, coconut milk and water, pineapple, and banana together.
4. When the quinoa is on, spread the macadamia nuts evenly on a cookie sheet. Roast for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden and fragrant.
5. Put the warm macadamia nuts in a food processor until smooth.
6. When quinoa is done, mix in the mango and kiwi.
7. Grab your breakfast bowl.  Put 1 Tbsp of the macadamia butter, one packet of the milled flax seed (or how much you want to throw in) and 1/2 cup of the quinoa in the bowl. 
8. Mix together then top with the coconut and chow down.

This is a great bright way to start out a weekend day.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment