Thursday, March 22, 2012

Spicy Peanut Butter Sauce with Quinoa Noodles and Veggies

Before I get to the good stuff, I'm gonna explain just a little bit about myself and this blog.  I'm Laura Beth.  I've been promising friends for a while now that I would start actually measuring out and putting my recipes up somewhere where they can find them.  So, I'm starting this blog.  I'm a homegrown KY girl who bleeds blue, but will soon be heading out to Southern California to be with my Air Force captain (who I'm very proud of, obviously).  But, I stay strong in my roots from my food to my accent.  California will have to prepare itself for a girl like me!

I figure since this is my first post, I will start off with what I have been munching on all week.  I really do need a better camera for taking pics of my food.  For now, my Palm Pre will have to do.  I think Jeremy has a really good camera and is much better at taking pictures than I am.  That'll be his job in helping me for this blog.  So, at last, I introduce to you Spicy Peanut Butter Sauce with Quinoa Noodles and Veggies!


In case you were wondering, it is scrumptious!  Anyways, this recipe started when my mom tore out a recipe from a magazine at her doctor's office.  She decided no one else would want the vegan recipes on the page, so she brought it back to me.  I've never been one to break the rules, but following recipes has not been a strong suit either.  I stare at a recipe, or at a cabinet or fridge for that matter, and decide what I think I would like to do with it.  To say that this recipe resembles the initial recipe would be an all out lie.  Sure there are some similar things... like peanut butter and tofu going into the sauce and the broccoli and red peppers... but I pretty much changed everything about it.


I thought a closer view would explain a little more.  I know, I know, it's blury, but I'll fix it with Jeremy's camera soon enough.

Spicy Peanut Butter Sauce with Quinoa Noodles and Veggies

Ingredients

Sauce:
2/3 c. natural crunchy peanut butter
2/3 c. blended silken tofu
2 tsp. of Fiery Fusion Pepper blend (if you like it spicier, add more)
10 Tbsp. pasta water
salt and black pepper to taste

Other Stuff:
3 c. broccoli
1 package of Quinoa Rotelle Pasta
6 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
2 shallots, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. coconut oil
1 red bell pepper, diced

Directions:

1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.  Once it is at a boil, blanche the broccoli until down.  Be sure not to overcook the broccoli.  Scoop broccoli out of the water.  Don't strain out the water.

2. Throw 1 tsp. of the coconut in the remaining water and the package of Quinoa Pasta.  Following cooking directions on the package.

3. In the meantime, add 1 Tbsp. of coconut oil in an iron skillet.  Drop in the garlic for a few seconds until fragrant.  Add in the shallots and mushrooms.  Saute together until done.

4. About two minutes before the pasta is done, add the peanut butter, tofu, and pasta water in a bowl.  Mix together and add the pepper blend, salt, and black pepper. 

5. Drain pasta and put back in the pot with the broccoli, mushrooms, shallots and garlic. 

6. Pour sauce over and mix.

7. Lastly, add the raw red pepper peices for a bit of crunch and mix together.

8. Grab a bowl and chow down.

Serves six.


While this recipe is best while it is hot, it is great warmed back up as well.  And there you have it!  My first recipe that I've put up.  For those of you wondering, it is both vegan and gluten-free (as long as you grab the right peanut butter and tofu).  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment