Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Squash or Radish Rolls

One of the first times I went to visit Jeremy in North Dakota, he wanted to make something for me that I had never had and something that he really enjoyed: radish sandwiches.  Instead of getting white bread, we got ciabatta rolls and cut them in half.  He put vegan butter on them and layered radishes that he had sliced, and we had radish sandwiches for dinner.  And I loved them.  He told me that his dad, Larry, always made them for him.  So, thank you Larry for the awesome food.

These rolls were inspired by this moment with Jeremy.  I had radishes and no bread.  I did have a can of crescent rolls.  I also had zucchini that needed to be fixed.  So I made some rolls with zucchini and some with radishes.  I took them to school the next day, and they were adored. 


I simply took the sliced radishes and the sliced zucchini, which the zucchini slices had to be cut in half, and rolled them up into the crescent rolls.  This was my first attempt at them.  I simply added the radishes and zucchini, rolled them up in the crescent rolls with a little spice and baked.  I really liked them.

But they needed more.  Today, I wanted to expand on the initial idea.  Here at my mom and dad's house, I had two small yellow/summer squashes.  I also had some roasted garlic hummus.  A new version of the rolls was born.


These turned out just the way I wanted them.  They were so yummy!  Mom and dad even enjoyed them, which for me means that I rocked it out.  They are picky with their food.  Now, when I have radishes or zucchini or yellow squash that needs to be eaten, I have a quick go-to recipe for them.

Ingredients:

1 yellow squash or zucchini sliced and halved, or sliced up radishes, or a combination
1 can of crescent rolls (you can do more than one can, up to you)
Hummus of your choice (I love roasted garlic or roasted red pepper hummus, yum)
Herb seasoning mix (I used a Mrs. Dash blend here)

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Separate the triangles of crescent roll dough. 
3. Spread some hummus on one of the triangles.
4. Take a couple of pieces of the veggie you are using and put them on the thicker edge.
5. Sprinkle with herb mix.
6. Roll over the bottom once to cover the veggie.
7. Add another layer, then roll.
8. Add one and roll.
9. Sprinkle herb mix over the top.
10. Repeat with other triangles.
11. Place evenly on a cookie sheet or pizza pan (I prefer my stone pan or one of my iron skillets)
12.  Bake until the crescent roll is golden brown and the veggie of choice is tender.
13. Put one on a plate and chow down.

These are simple to make and just good.  Yes, the crescent roll isn't the best thing in the world for you, but, a little splurge every now and then doesn't hurt.  Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I wish the boys could still have convenience crescent rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll start working on more gluten-free recipes. The one I have up for the granola is totally gluten-free!

    ReplyDelete