Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fresh Pasta Sauce

Let me begin this by saying it is late, and I have grown tired.  But, I promised myself that I would get this blog up.  So, here I am.  I would have done this earlier, but I was busy talking to Jeremy.  I miss him so very much.  And tonight's meal was slightly inspired by another night with him.


On that plate is Sophie's Kitchen vegan calamari, which is super delicious, and my pasta sauce with quinoa noodles and some fresh green onions from mom and dad's small garden out behind the house.  It was a simple yet delicious meal.  Mom and dad both loved the calamari, exclaiming that it "tasted like clams!"  I like it, too.

This was inspired by another night with Jeremy because over Christmas, I made him some of the vegan calamari.  I wanted a sauce to go with it, so I created one with garlic, onions, diced tomatoes, and some spices.  I knew I could do a better one if I had more time to plan it out, and the above was created. 

For the sauce, you need to think of a super fresh veggie that you want to highlight in the sauce.  I suggest a type of squash, such as zucchini or yellow squash (like I used tonight), or a type of mushroom.  If you're a big olive person, you could also toss some olives in it.  Just depends on your mood and what you have fresh nearby. 


These were my base ingredients, and they were delicious.  I have plans of canning my own tomatoes at the end of the summer, so this will be even better.  It was still incredibly good though.


Ingredients:

1 Tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic minced
1 shallot diced
4 green onions, sliced
1 smallish yellow squash (1 zucchini, 2 portobella mushrooms, or 4-6 baby bella mushrooms)
1 can diced tomatoes with no salt
1 can diced tomatoes with basil and oregano seasonings
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. Italian herb mix (one without garlic)
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

1.  Take out about 2 Tbsp of the green onion and reserve on the side. 
2. Heat olive oil in a large iron skillet over medium-low heat.
3. Add garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
4. Add the rest of the green onions, shallot, and squash (or mushrooms), and saute until soft.
5. Add in both cans of diced tomatoes and tomato paste.
6. Add in Italian Herb mix, salt and pepper.
7. Turn down to low heat and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes for flavors to meld.
8. Toss in your favorite kind of pasta, top with some green onions, and chow down.

As I've said before, I really love and highly recommend the quinoa pastas.   I used quinoa spaghetti noodles in this dish tonight.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment