Saturday, March 31, 2012

*UNHEALTHY FOOD ALERT* Fried Polk and Dry Land Fish

Allow me to say first and foremost, this blog is about veganism.  Unhealthy stuff WILL pop up on here from time to time.  But, that being said, in search for getting my own health back to where I want it, most of my food is healthy or healthier versions of things I have always loved.  I imagined myself making caulipots tonight with some purple taters, so I could have blue caulipots in honor of my beloved UK.  Instead, delivered to our door was a bag of polk and one dry land fish.  We did as we traditionally do, and fried them both.  Mom and dad let me have the dry land fish as they fried themselves some bluegill. 


That was my dinner tonight.  And it was DELICIOUS.  If you look up polk or polk salad on google or wikipedia, it will tell you that the plant is poisonous.  To properly eat it, according to these sources, you need to boil the crap out of it then fry it.  Well, that is not how we do it here.  I dipped it in unsweetened almond milk, coated it in a cornmeal and flour mixture, then fried it.  It has yet to kill me yet, so I think I'm ok.


Dry land fish is hard to find.  According to many sources, it is called a morel mushroom.  It grows near water sources wild here, and the part that makes it hard to find is that so many people are after them.  Dry land fishing is almost a sport right now. 


The important thing to know about dry land fish is prepping them.  Once you have them, cut them in half and let them soak in a bit of salt water for at least 30 minutes to an hour.  Then, rinse them.  Your dry land fish are ready to be put into the pan!  You can easily fry these two items in the same pan, which I did, and use the same things to batter them, which I did.

Ingredients:

Polk
Dry Land Fish
1c. cornbread mix
1/2 c. unsweetened almond milk

Directions:

1. Heat up oil in an iron skillet.
2. Spread the cornbread mix on a plate and the almond milk in a bowl.
3. Dip the polk or dry land fish into the almond milk until coated. 
4. Dip the drenched polk or dry land fish in the cornmeal mixture
5. Once grease is hot enough, drop the polk and dry land fish in to fry.
6. After around 4 minutes of frying, sometimes less, flip the polk and dry land fish.
7. Once both sides are golden brown, remove and place on some paper towels to get rid of excess grease.
8. Grab polk and dry land fish and begin to chow down.

At this time, I cannot be on a mission to find more dry land fish sadly.  Instead, I am on a mission to get ready to be with Jeremy.  I'll be heading to visit him for my final visit to Minot.  The next time I'll see him, he'll be coming here to meet my family.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment