Monday, April 16, 2012

Back from Jeremy's: Taco Bake

There were several impromptu dishes created at Jeremy's this trip.  I made them for a number of reasons ranging from the case of vegan Thin Mints that he got me to the fact that the kitchen was in pieces until the last few days of my trip.  We worked hard, had some fun, and got things accomplished.  I cooked for the most part in a little toaster oven.  That's right.  TOASTER OVEN!  I made muffins, and lots of things in aluminium foil.  The last few days when I had a stove, I made an awesome dessert pizza, which I'll put up in a day or so.  And no, for the most part, I took no pictures.  There were other things on my mind, like cuddling Jeremy and spending time with him in general.

As my first recipe, I'm posting the Taco Bake.  I was trying to come up with an idea of what to make that would be tasty, easy to eat, and something that was no fuss no muss.  I came up with the idea of this recipe because Jeremy really loves guacamole.  We got some chips, some mango pineapple salsa, and I had ordered some vegan queso ahead of time.  So, I wanted to do like a taco salad of sorts.  But there was no stove... soooo... TA DA!  Taco mix from the oven.  It was simple, tasty, and just what we both wanted.

Ingredients:

1 can black beans drained and rinsed
1/2 large onion, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow bell peppers, diced
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
2/3 c. water
1 packet of taco seasoning
1/2 c. Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)
Your choice of tortilla chips
Guacamole
Choice of Salsa
Choice of Vegan Queso (we have now tried both, and kinda prefer Nacho Mama's Ultimate
         Vegan Queso.  The Food for Lover's Queso is good, but the other is thicker.  Both are tasty. 
         For this, we did use Food for Lover's though.)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together the black beans, onion, peppers, garlic, water, and taco seasoning. 
3. In the center of a piece of aluminium foil, place the mixture and create a pocket around it. 
4. Set in the oven to bake for 30-45 minutes.
5. Take out of the oven, open the foil, and add in the TVP.  This will soak up the rest of the liquid.  Set back in the oven for 5-10 minutes.
6. While this is finishing, place tortilla chips around on a plate. 
7. When Taco Bake comes out of the oven, spoon over chips.
8. Add your choice of the toppings (guac, salsa, and vegan queso), and you can also add some fresh veggie toppings such as sliced spinach, lettuce, raw onions, and tomatoes.  You could throw on some vegan sour cream if you would like.
9. Grab your plate and chow down.

Now that I am no longer visitng Jeremy, I am back to bloggin recipes.  I miss him terribly and keep thinking that this visit was my last visit to see him because I'll be with him soon, all the time.  That is a moment for yay, but for now, I'm just sad and missing him.  More recipes will be coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment