Monday, April 2, 2012

Some Pre-game Goods: Buffalo Chik'n Kale Salad or Wrap

Today is game day!  March Madness has culminated in this playoff betweek UK and Kansas.  I say bring it KANSAS! YOU ARE GOING DOWN! 

Ok, now that that is out of my system, on to game day food.  In my mind, nothing says ballgame more than buffalo wings.  I have no idea why, but that is where it goes.  Gardein is one of my favorite vegan products.  Its chick'n is phenomenal.  Yesterday, I had half a pack of the buffalo chick'n wings yesterday.  Today, I heated up the other half and came up with the filling for a wrap or for a salad.


This is something quick to whip up pre-game or for a great lunch.  Like I said, it is a great salad and a fantastic wrap.


It made enough for two people.  And yes, my wrap totally fell apart >.<. Anyways, it is totally worth it.  If you do get the Gardein buffalo chick'n wings, know this: they are on the spicy side.  And I am no spice pansy.  If you are, then make your own buffalo sauce.  It is incredibly easy to do so.  I will put below how to make your own sauce.  And remember, it is all about to your taste and spice level.  Mine is medium-high.  I have to be careful sometimes because I forget that others may not be the same.  I have burnt people up on occassion (sorry Ranetta!).

Buffalo Sauce

Ingredients:

1/4 c. vegan margarine or butter (I use Earth Balance)
Frank's Red Hot sauce

Directions:

1. In a bowl, melt margarine or butter until softened.  You do not want it to melted.  Think the look of the garlic sauce from pizza places. 
2. Mix as much Frank's Red Hot sauce as you want into the margarine.
3. Toss whatever vegan meat you have there and chow down.

Buffalo Chick'n Salad or Wrap

Ingredients:

1/2 of an avocado, diced
1 slice of onion diced (optional)
1 leaf of kale, stem removed and torn into small bite-size pieces
1-2 slices of tomato, diced
5 Gardein Buffalo Chick'n Wings diced
2 soft tortilla shells (optional)

Directions:

1. Put the avocado, onion, kale, tomato, and chick'n in a bowl and toss.
2. If eating as a salad, go ahead and chow down.  Remember, this is enough for two.
3. If making into a wrap, place filling in the towards the edge of one side of the tortilla.  Pull the smaller side over, then fold the top and bottom over.  Simply roll ingredients up into the wrap.
3. Put wrap on a plate and chow down.

In the recipe, I do call for tomato. I sadly did not have any here today.  I have made it with tomato before, and I highly recommend it.  It makes the whole thing brighter. 




No comments:

Post a Comment