Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Roasted Veggie Tofu Scrambler

In VegNews magazine, they had an issue on a bucket list.  One of the items on the vegan bucket list was to come up with your very own tofu scramble.  Tofu scrambles are AMAZING.  It's like eating some cheesy scrambled eggs without the guilt and with more health benefits.  I have had a couple of tofu scrambles, and the best I had had was at Pura Vida in Vegas with Jeremy.  We both loved it.  It had beans in it and a southwestern flavor that was just awesome.  So, when coming up with my own, I realized that it needed to be very me.  And if something is going to represent me, it would have to have taters in it.  Also, I have a thing for zucchini.  I've made all kinds of things with zucchini, including several desserts.  I have some serious love for it.  I thought about this and decided to take the ingredients from the veggie bake, herbs and all, and add it into the tofu scramble. 

This led to the question if I wanted to fry the veggies, which was a not completely.  So, I decided to bake them in an iron skillet for a bit, pull it out and onto the stove where I add extra seasonings and the tofu for a bit.  I LOVED it.  It gave it a roasted garlic flavor, since the veggie bake has garlic in it, and some daiya cheese thrown in at the end makes it spectacular.  See for yourself!

 
It was so good, and it even looks like scrambled eggs.  I paired it with half of an everything bagel, which is one of m favorite bagels.  If you don't like everything bagels, eat it with an english muffin or just on its own.


It was colorful and wonderful.  Both mom and dad enjoyed it, and dad even hates eggs.  It is a great breakfast.  I got my base for this recipe through Vegan with a Vengence by Isa Chandra Moskowitz.  I LOVE her, but this is my twist.

Ingredients:

3 small red roasting taters, diced
1/8 of an orange bell pepper, diced
1 shallot, diced
2 slices of zucchini, diced
5 baby carrots, diced
1-2 baby bella mushrooms, diced
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
Olive oil
Rosemary
Basil
Sage
Thyme
Oregano
Parsley
Salt
Ground Black pepper
1 package of extra firm tofu, frozed and thawed back out and pressed
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic
1/4 c. nutritional yeast
juice of half a lemon
water
1/2 c. vegan cheddar cheese

Directions:

1.  Preheat oven to 425 degrees. 
2.  In a small bowl, mix together the measured out spices in a small bowl or cup and set aside.
4.  Crumble up the pressed tofu in another bowl and set aside. 
Mix all of the veggies together in an iron skillet.  Toss with just a little bit of olive oil. 
5. Sprinkle a little bit of the rosemary, sage (just a tiny bit), thyme, oregano, parsley (sprinkle the most of this), salt and pepper.  Toss together and pop in the oven.
6. Let cook for about 10 minutes.  Pull out and set on a burner over medium heat.
7. Add the measured out spices and stir.  Add about a 1/4 c. water to keep it from sticking to the pan too much.
8. Toss in the tofu.  Gentle stir and fold.  You don't want to chop to make the tofu finer than it already is.  This will coat with the spices and turn the tofu a gentle yellow. 
9. Cook this together for 15 minutes, occassionally stirring and adding water to keep from sticking too much to the iron skillet.
10.  Add in the nutritional yeast.
11.  Add in the lemon juice. 
11.  Melt in some vegan cheddar cheese.
12.  Grab a plate and chow down.

It is worth every second of cooking and every calorie of eating it.  I'm thinking of making another one in the morning. Mmmmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment