Friday, April 20, 2012

Impromptu Chickpea Wrap

I have been staying at my Mom and Dad's a lot lately.  Soon, I'll be moving back there and letting my apartment go.  This will make my move with Jeremy a lot easier, and it will save me some cash as well.  Anyways, Mom wanted to pack me a lunch one day.  I think just the nostalgia of it.  I said sure.  Well, she decided to make me a wrap.  I cut up some avocado, onion and tomato for it.  She packed it up, with, what she thought, was a vegan patty and some tortillas. 

About a month ago, Mom grabbed the wrong type of Boca burger.  I am highly allergic to dairy, and I couldn't eat the patty.  Since, Mom has accidentally made three of these burgers for me to eat.  Luckily, you can see that these have actual cheese in them.  When I opened my lunch to put the patty in the freezer when I got to work, I realized the mistake.  So, I formed a plan in my head for a quick chickpea wrap.

I ran to the local IGA and snagged some spinach, mushrooms, some soy sauce, a garden herb blend, and some chickpeas.  When I got back to the school, I made a chickpea wrap.  It ended up being awesome, and I have made it for several others with great compliments for the tasty wrap. 

Ever since this first day, I've been on a chickpea kick.  Last night, I even had Hawaiian Teriyaki Barbecued Chickpeas with a pineapple salsa and fresh lettuce.  OMG! It was amazing!  This was not my recipe.  I got it out of a book called Happy Herbivore.  As always, I didn't follow the directions exactly.  But would I be near as much fun if I did? 

This is going to become my go-to sataple when everything is going wrong.  Trust me, it's that good!

Ingredients:

1/2 c. chickpeas
1 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
herb blend of your choice
handful of spinach
1 mushroom, diced
1/2 Tbsp. diced onion
1/2 Tbsp. diced tomato
1 Tbsp. diced avocado
1 tortilla wrap

Directions:
1.  In a microwave safe bowl, mix together the chickpeas, soy sauce, and sprinkle with herbs. 
2. Put the bowl in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.
3. Remove from microwave.
4. Put the tortilla between two paper towels and heat for 5-10 seconds.
5. Take the tortilla and place the ingredients over top of it.  Make it as full or as slim as you like.
6. Wrap tight and chow down!

Heating the chickpeas allows them to soad up more of the flavors.  Heating the tortilla makes it more flexible and stretchy (meaning easier to wrap things with).  I sometimes just eat the chickpeas with the spices sprinkled over the top.  It is really your choice.  Either way, this is totally awesome.

On a side note, I have a new phone and will start taking pics of my food again.  YAY!  The picture quality should be much better as well.  YAY again!

No comments:

Post a Comment