Thursday, April 26, 2012

Citrus Teriyaki Chickpea and Quinoa Salad

I wanted to make something with chickpeas for lunch, and was thinking the night before.  I decided to make a marinade for them, let them soak overnight, and cook them up in the morning.  This way, the chickpeas absorb in all the flavors of the marinade and become a super awesome chickpea.  I think chickpeas are awesome anyways, but this increases their awesomeness.  I started thinking of what to pair these with.  Did I want a wrap?  Did I want a salad?  Hmmm... the salad sounded good, but not just any salad.  I wanted to add quinoa to the mix.  And kale!  Because I do love kale, and for the last little bit, I have not cooked/used it nearly as much as I'd like.  The result is the following lunch:


It turned out SO GOOD!  I have tried it with different citruses, and I think my favorite is the lime.  I'm not sure why.  I've thought about making some jerk chickpeas ever since.  I can't wait to actually sit down and create them.


This salad was so yummy and almost effortless.  I did have to go pick the lettuce and green onions from mom and dad's garden... and since I decided upon making this at like 10:30 at night, dad help up a flash light on the porch while I picked them.  He said something about crazy daughter and never having heard of picking lettuce with a flash light.  I told him I could see without the flash light, but he insisted.  I do love my daddy.

Ingredients for marinated chickpeas:

Zest and juice of one orange OR 2 limes
1/2 c. low sodium soy sauce
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1/4 c. agave nectar
1 small shallot, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/8 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. pepper mix (I use the Fiery Fusion Grinder from Spice Hunter)
1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained

Directions for marinated chickpeas:

1. Add all ingredients except for the chickpeas and mix together.
2. Add in chickpeas and let marinade overnight.
3. In an iron skillet, cook until the marinade has all reduced, 5-10 minutes.

Ingredients for salad:

1/2 to 3/4 c. quinoa cooked
1/4 of a pepper, diced
1-2 green onions sliced
2 button mushrooms, diced
1/8 c. diced tomatoes
3 slices of zucchini diced
1 leaf of kale with the rib removed and pulled into tiny pieces
1/4 c. shredded lettuce
Marinated chicpeas

Directions:

1. Add all the ingredients together and mix.
2. Grab a bowl and fork, and chow down.

This is something that you can adjust the heat on the marinade to make it a spicier dish.  I will probably add some more heat the next time I make it.



No comments:

Post a Comment