Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Sticky Fingers Bakery in Washington D.C. Review and Low-Iodine Diet

I have literally not cooked anything since my last post!  I had some sushi last night with Jen, and over the weekend, I went off to Washington D.C. to chaperone the History Bowl Trip for the students.  We had lots of fun, and on the last day, two of the students walked with me to Sticky Fingers Bakery, an all vegan bakery!  I was ecstatic!


I drug them on the Metro, and to the place.  They actually asked to go with me, but I was so excited that I was pretty much dragging them to get there.  I wanted to go for brunch because I have found that I really LOVE tofu scramblers.  So, I wanted brunch there.  I ended up getting a blueberry french toast platter, which came with french toast, blueberry syrup/compote, tofu scrambler, and cheesey grits. 



It was so good.  I had two comments though: the tofu scrambler and the grits.  The tofu scrambler was rather plain, and I really like the one I make better (on one hand, YAY!, and on the other, *sadface*). The other is the cheesey grits.  I'm not a huge fan of grits.  They were good though, and I ate most of them.  I would have prefered some sort of tater (cause I do love taters).   It was still worth it, and I still really enjoyed it.  The novelty of such places is that I can actually go somewhere and GET anything I want on the menu.  It is so awesome!  And the place really was amazing.

To go, I grabbed a Compassionate Cake and a Sticky Bun.  Being Sticky Fingers Bakery, I had to get a Sticky Bun.  Again, I was a little disappointed just because I wanted the Sticky Bun to be the best one I'd ever had.  It fell just a tad short, not much, but a tad.  I wanted more flavor in it, not more sugar, but more spice and everything nice, like more nuts.  I couldn't put my finger on it, but I wanted something more from it.

 
Last but not least, I had the Compassionate Cupcake.  I kept debating which sweet cupcake or treat I wanted to take with me.  I looked, and debated, and looked, and debated, then I read below the Compassionate Cupcake that it gave $1.00 of the purchase to Compassion Over Killing.  I love the group, think they do great work, and I simply cannot turn down a chance to help give back.  So, I ended up getting this one, which turned out to be the Salted Margaritta Cupcake, and the best decision that I had made all day. 


This cupcake was absolutely FANTASTIC!  I loved it!  I can't tell you how happy I was to have chosen the salted one as well.  It would have been too sweet without the salt. 

And the best part of this trip to Sticky Fingers Bakery? I got a new cookbook.  I can now make these baked goods, and change the recipes, cause that is what I do.  I am so EXCITED!

After all the excitement, I announce that my next set of recipes will be low-iodine, which means no seaweed, sea salt or iodized salt, very little normal salt, soy products, rhubarb, red kidney beans, pinto beans, lima beans, cowpeas, or tater hulls.  There is also red dye #3 on that list, milk, eggs, and fish, but those don't really effect me all too much.  Either way, I will be doing lots of cooking this coming week, and the recipes will be tasty.  I'm gonna start reworking a muffin recipe that I started on, and go from there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment