Thursday, May 3, 2012

Kiwi Mango Muffins with Coconut and Chia Seeds

My mom and dad had to go to Lexington the other day for a doctor's appointment.  It seems that there is a possibility for dad getting a lung transplant, and I am very hopeful about this fact.  My dad is the world's best person in my opinion.  He would do anything for anyone, and I love him so very much.  I am definitely a daddy's girl, but I have watched him struggle to breathe so many times.  The idea that he could one day be able to actually go across the room without being out of breathe and having to stop is one for which I pray.  Anyone that knows him knows how wonderful he is.  I would be lost without him.  He does so much for me.  Every now and then, I make something for him, like this carrot cake.


One of the reasons I am trying to make healthier foods for them is for dad.  I know that he has to be in as good a shape as possible for this lung transplant.  I am doing what I can to help in making superfoods that are tasty and incredibly healthy.

Anyways, while they were there, mom went in to Whole Foods and grabbed me a few items, one of which is CHIA SEEDS!  I hadn't actually used chia seeds yet, and I couldn't wait to use them.  The health benefits are numerous and wonderful.  They are such a tremendous source of Omega 3's.  When I first read about using chia seeds in recipes, I was slightly freaked out by this fact.  All I could think of was those commercials with chia pets, and I would sing, "ch-ch-ch-chia!"  The idea of using those seeds in food almost seemed too much... almost. 

I wanted to put them in something that would almost mask them for mom and dad, but also be useful for the task at hand.  They absorb so much moisture!  And then it hit me: fresh fruit muffins.  One of the problems of fresh fruit muffins is that they have too much liquid from the fruit itself.  In my mind, the chia seeds could absorb a lot of this moisture and help make a super fluffy and healthy muffin.  Mom had also bought me some golden mangos while she was there.  After looking around the kitchen, there was only one thing left to do, make Kiwi Mango Muffins. 


These muffins are packed!  I wanted them to be sweet, moist fluffy, and flavorful.  This is what I got in this muffin.  The main spice in the is cardamom, which is just a lovely spice.  They have coconut and macadamia nuts in them as well, with coconut on top.  And, no forgetting, there is one heaping tablespoon of chia seeds in these babies. 


I know they may sound weird, but they are awesome.  And these don't have a lot of salt in them because I am on my low-iodine diet and am using very little salt.  Also, salt isn't great for dad's heart and arteries.  Gotta keep him healthy!

Ingredients:

2 1/3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. cardamom
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 c. pineapple juice
4 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
1/3 c. apple sauce
1/4 c. agave nectar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. rum extract
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1/3 c. coconut shreds + more for top
1/3 c. macadamia nuts
1/2 c. diced mango
1/2 c. diced kiwi

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Grease a muffin pan.  I made 12 muffins, but you can make some big muffins if you would like.
3. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cardamom, cinnamon, and pumpkin pie spice in a medium size bowl. 
4. In a larger bowl, mix together the coconut oil, apple sauce, agave nectar, pineapple juice, vanilla, and rum extracts together.
5. Add the dry ingredients into the wet, mixing in a little at a time until well combined.
6. Mix in the chia seeds, 1/3 c. coconut shreds, and macadamia nuts.
7. Fold in the mango and kiwi until as evenly dispersed as possible.
8. Fill the muffin cups 3/4 of the way full.  You don't want to use the little muffin papers with these.  If you do, they will stick.
9. Sprinkle coconut over the top.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the tops are springy.  You can also insert a toothpick, and if it comes out clean, they are done.
11. Remove from oven and place on a cooling rack.  Grab one and chow down.


These are totally worth the time.  I brought them to school, and everyone has claimed them to be absolutely delicious.  And for all of those non-coconut folk, the unsweetened shreds do not have the same texture as sweetened ones.  You are likely not even to notice them at all.  So, if it is the texture that turns you away, it won't in these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment