Friday, May 4, 2012

Raw Salsa

Being on this low iodine diet has caused me to go back into the kitchen and really work with some raw foods.  And I have to say, I am absolutely loving it.  I'm playing with all sorts of ideas.  I made a bean salad of sorts, but it isn't perfect just yet.  However, the salsa I made to accompany the bean salad, and it turned out spectacularly!


Isn't it just beautiful?!  I'm not a huge fan of vinegar, and sometimes, salsa seems to vinegar-y to me.  This uses lemon or lime juice to meld the flavors together, and it turns out so much better in my opinion.  This didn't have much heat because mom and dad can't handle heat.  Next time, I'm going to add a little jalapeno to it or maybe even a tad of habanero. 


If you like some heat, add more heat with the addition of spicier peppers.  Also, fresh cilantro would be even better here.  I simply didn't have any on hand, but for those who do, add about 1/4 cup of the fresh stuff.  If not, follow the recipe below. 

Ingredients:

2 medium sized tomatoes, diced
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
4-5 green onions, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried cilantro
Juice of 1 lemon

Directions:

1. In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, peppers, onions, and garlic.
2. Toss in cilantro and mix again.
3. Pour lemon juice over the mixture and stir.
4. Set in the fridge for at least an hour to let flavors meld together.
5. Grab bowl and chow down!

This recipe has no salt, but if you feel you need it, pour it to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment