Saturday, May 5, 2012

Daddy's Banana Bread Veganized

I know I've already had a post about my daddy, but I have to explain that he makes a Banana Bread that is magical.  There have been several people who while they were sick and could hold nothing else down, they could eat his Banana Bread.  He is very specific about how it is to be made, and he taught me last night not only how to make it but helped me to veganize it.  He was proud, and so was I. 


I will be the first to admit that it was not exactly like Daddy's, but it is pretty darn close!  It was delicious, beautiful, and it went awesomely with my overnight oats this morning. 


On top of everything else, it is much healthier than Daddy's recipe.  While telling me his recipe, he told me that I could replace the butter with apple sauce.  He is figuring out my style, and I can tell that makes him happy.  It does me, too.  His recipe also calls for 2 cups of sugar, and if you want, you can put in the sugar.  I prefer my agave nectar.  It is still sweet but not overly so. 


The recipe makes two loaves, and I made one with walnuts and one without.  I prefer to have walnuts because they are just healthy for you.  Mom and Dad would rather not have them.  So, this loaf was for them.

The most important part for me to learn was Daddy's exact directions on how to make it.  He says that is his secret.  So, I'm writing out the directions as he told them to me. 

Ingredients:

3 Tbsp. flax seed
9 Tbsp. water
1 c. apple sauce
1 1/4 c. agave nectar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
7 bananas, very ripe
3 c. whole wheat pastry flour
3 tsp. baking soda

Directions:

1. In a small bowl, mix together the flax seeds and water.  Let sit to thicken.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Spray the two loaf pans with Baker's Joy or us a little oil and a little flour.  This keeps the bread from sticking to the pans.
4. In a large bowl, add the apple sauce and the flax eggs.  Mix together with a wooden spoon.
5. Add in the agave nectar, vanilla, and salt.  Mix again with the wooden spoon and set the spoon aside.
6. One at a time, smash the banana into the wet mixture by hand.  Smoosh them up as best you can.
7. Take your left hand, and smoosh the bananas and wet mixture together until they are well mixed.
8. In a flour sifter, add the flour and baking soda.
9. Add the dry mix into the wet mix.  Mix together with the wooden spoon until well combined.
10. If you want to add nuts, do so now.
11. Divide the batter evenly between the two loaf pans. 
12. Bake in the oven for 1 hour and 15 minutes. 
13. Remove from the oven and break the sides away from the pan.  Let bread sit in the loaf pans for about 5 minutes.
14. Remove bread from pans and place on a cooling rack. 
15. When bread cools enough, cut into slices and chow down.

If you're like me, the part that intrigues me the most is that Dad's bread recipe has no spice in it.  He was adamant about this point.  He says it simply doesn't need it.  And I have to agree with him.  He makes the best banana bread, and it doesn't need anything extra.  I keep doing Daddy recipes because he is the one who cooks around here.  I will be doing mom's biscuits and dumpling eventually though.  Those are the things at which she is queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment