Friday, May 4, 2012

Raw Blueberry Muffins

Sometiems, ideas and inspirations come at the oddest times.  Mom was insisting that I eat some popcorn.  My battle with low sodium is not yet over, but my sodium levels are sure to be getting back there.  Anyways, I was watching Sweet Genius on Food Network.  I can't say how much I love that show.  I walked into the kitchen and saw my magno kiwi muffins.  I thought about the raw ones that hard turned out good but not perfect from the fridge. I wanted a raw muffin.  I was craving blueberries.  And I finally figured out just how to make them.  Then, the raw bluebbery muffin was born.  And they are cute!

See? Aren't they just adorable?  The sweetness and tartness of the blueberry bursts through the earthy nut flavors, and the coconut just makes it over the top. The nut base can be used in several raw recipes, including cookies, cookie dough balls, and cupcakes. This recipe is chock full of all sorts of protein and vitamins, and it is delicious. I ate one and was so full.


I brought the second one on in to work, and it was split between two coworkers, my trusty food testers Jen and Ranetta, and a student, Swathi. They all said it was fantastic. Jen wanted to make sure I put the recipe up here. It really is simple and worth it.

Ingredients:

4 Tbsp. raw cashews OR 2 Tbsp. cashew butter
2 Tbsp. raw almonds
1 medjool date
1 tsp. agave nectar
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 tsp. shredded coconut
1 tsp. flax seeds
1/2 tsp. chia seeds (optional)
2 Tbsp. frozen blueberries

Directions:

1. In a small food processor, process together the nuts and the date until crumbly.
2. Add in the agave nectar and coconut oil.  Process until smooth.
3. Remove mixture from processor and place in a small bowl.  Add in the coconut, flax seeds, and chia seeds (if using).  Mix until evenly distributed.
4. Add in the blueberries.  Form into muffin shaped disk, being about 2 inches in diameter and 1 inch tall.
5. Place muffins on a plate or in a container and refrigerate overnight.
6. The next morning, snag one and chow down!

If blueberries aren't your thing or if you have a hankering for something else, you can add any other frozen fruit, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, carob chips, carob powder, more coconut, or chopped nuts.  You can shape them differently and make all different desserts out of this base.  You can also double, triple or quadruple this recipe to make even more tasty things.

I'm thinking my next raw recipe will be a raw nut fudge... mmmmmmm.


No comments:

Post a Comment