Sunday, April 1, 2012

Veggie Burgers, Caulipots, and Kale Chips, Oh MY!

I began this evening out with a determination to create some buffalo chik'n nuggets.  But mom wanted me to make veggie burgers instead.  So, my determination was thwarted, and I will make those possibly tomorrow evening for the game! 


This is what ended up on my plate.  As well as some kale chips.


I have described them several times as tasting like green popcorn.  And I stand by that observation strongly.  They are fantastic and delicious. 

Anyways, the basic concept of the veggie burger started out here.  I have tried out many of the Tofu Guru's recipes and really enjoyed them.  But, she sadly stopped posting with her last post being the burgers.  I found that the base components and ideas were great, but the burger itself was bland.  So, on my second making of this, I reworked the recipe.  I wanted to add flavor this time but no particular ethnicity, such as a Mexican burger, which I will soon do.  So, I added a tad more vegan worcestershire sauce (which I cannot pronounce), some liquid smoke, A-1 sauce, parsley, some Mrs. Dash herb blend, and garlic.


I made some sauteed mushrooms and onions with a little low-sodium soy sauce to top the burgers, and sliced an avocado to put on it as well.  My chosen bread are these little ciabatta rolls that are slightly pre-baked.  You put them in the oven for about 8 minutes and have fresh baked rolls.  All these things combined, make this beauty.


On the other side, is some caulipots with some garden fresh green onions tossed in.  These are things that you should make, and quite often.


I guess what I'm saying is that tonight, I have THREE recipes for you.  Two are super simple, and one is much more complicated but worth it.  I'll start with the easiest, the kale chips, then go to the caulipots and save the veggie burgers for last.

Kale Chips

Ingredients:

1 bunch kale, washed and dried
2 Tbsp. olive oil
salt
pepper
seasonings of your choice (I use salt, garlic powder, nutritional yeast, and a pepper blend)

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
2. Tear the kale into 1 inch pieces and toss into a bowl.
3. Pour olive oil over top and add seasonings.
4. Toss together until kale is well coated.
5. Place kale evenly across a cookie sheet.
6. Let bake for about 20 minutes until the kale is crisp but not burnt.
7. Put on plate and chow down.


Caulipots

Ingredients:

30-35 baby taters (I use a variety of red, purple, and golden ones)
1 8 oz. package herbed vegan cream cheese
1 head of cauliflower
Salt
Pepper
2 sliced green onions

Directions:

1. Cut the taters into quarters and throw into a pot.
2. Cut up the cauliflower and throw into the same pot.
3. Cover with water about an inch above the taters and cauliflower.
4. Place on the stove over medium heat.
5. Boil until fork goes easily into and out of taters.
6. Rinse water off of the taters and cauliflower and return to pot.
7. Add in the vegan cream cheese, salt and pepper.
8. Mash together with a tater masher.
9. Add in the green onions or top with green onions and chow down.

Veggie Burgers

Ingredients:

1/3 c. bulgar wheat
2 c. veggie broth, divided
1 c. TVP (textured vegetable protein)
1 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 of a vidalia onion, diced
4 baby bella mushrooms
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 c. black beans
1 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Mrs. Dash original herb mix
1 Tbsp. + 1/2 tsp vegan worcestershire sauce
1/8 tsp Liquid Smoke
1 c. vital wheat gluten
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
2 Tbsp. A-1 sauce
1/2 tsp. parsley
salt
pepper

Directions:

1. Add one cup of the broth to a kettle with the bulgar wheat.  Put on medium heat until bowling, then cover with a lid and turn down to low until cooked.  Set aside.
2. Add the other cup of broth to a separate kettle and bring to a boil.  Add the TVP to rehydrate.  Immediately, put on a lid and set off stove.
3. Heat olive oil in an iron skillet.  Once hot, throw in the mushrooms, onion, and garlic until sauteed.
4. In a food processor, add the black beans, tomato paste, cumin, Mrs. Dash, vegan worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and the sauteed onions, mushrooms, and garlic.  Process until this becomes a smooth paste.
5. In a large bowl, combine the TVP and blugar wheat.
6. Add in the vital wheat gluten and nutritional yeast.  This mixture will be dry.  Just mix until the TVP and bulgar wheat is well coated.
7. Add in the paste from the food processor, A-1 sauce, parsley, salt and pepper.  Mix together with hands.
8. In the same iron skillet, add a little bit of oil.  Form the veggie burger into patties.
9. Cook on medium-low heat.  Brown on both sides. 
10. Grab your choice of bread and topics and chow down.

This turned into an awesome meal, and mom and dad both really enjoyed it.  I loved the burgers.  I also loved my colorful baby taters.  I found a bag at Food City that has the variety pack. It's a very colorful experience, and, if there are enough purple taters in the bag, your caulipots will be a purplish blue.  UK, I <3 you.


I <3 you, too, baby taters.

No comments:

Post a Comment